Tax Assistant in CBDT
Tax Assistant Salary in 7th Pay Commission & Facilities:
- Tax Assistant is a Group C Non-Gazetted Post.
- Grade Pay 2400.
- Level 4. Starting Basic Pay Rs. 25500.
- Tax Assistant Salary in 7th Pay Commission (In Hand) is around Rs. 33542 for Class A city. For complete Salary Details: Click Here
- CGHS Facility for Medical, HRA, TA, DA (to compensate for inflation), Advances etc.
- Quarters: IT department has quarters in most of the cities. If they are vacant you can get it within 1-2 months. Otherwise it may take upto 2-3 years.
Tax Assistant in CBDT Job Profile:
There are two types of Posting:
- Calculation of Tax Liability of Individuals, Companies, HUFs etc.
- Scrutiny of Income Tax Returns
- Detect Tax Evaders & Defaulters
- Levying of penalty according to act and recovery of tax accordingly.
Non Assessment Section:
- Clerical Work: Noting, Drafting.
- Monitoring correspondence, preparing monthly-weekly reports.
- Dealing complaints, grievances.
- Diary dispatch.
- Intelligence & Criminal Investigation.
Post Selection Procedure & Joining:
- It takes 6-7 months after final result for joining.
- SSC forward your dossiers to CBDT HQ (Delhi).
- CBDT ask preferences for Cadre (Delhi Zone, Chennai Zone as so on).
- After receiving preferences CBDT allots zonebased on Merit & Preference.
There are 2 types of transfers available in the CBDT:
- Annual General Transfer: Transfer in same Zone. Doesn’t affect your seniority.
- Inter Charge Transfer: Transfer outside your Zone. You lose your seniority.
Annual General Transfers are easy.
Inter Charge Transfers are possible but not too easy. There are few things that should be in your favor.
- Vacancy must be there in the zone you want to get transferred to.
- One should have a valid reason like Spouse Ground, Disability etc.
- You seniors/administration should be cooperative.
Moreover if you don’t want transfers you don’t have to worry as you are not liable to be transferred until you become Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax (ACIT). After becoming ACIT you have All India Liability.
For transfer policy of CBDT (pdf): Policy on Inter Change Transfers CBDT
Tax Assistant in CBDT Training:
A newly recruited is provided on-the-job training for 35 working days.
Tax Assistant in CBDT Promotion:
The promotion depends from circle to circle. So, there is a great variation.
Tax Assistant (TA) - GP 2400 You start here. Senior Tax Assistant (STA) - GP 4200 3-4 Years. Clearing Exam is mandatory to become Senior Tax Assistant. Income Tax Inspector (ITI) - GP 4600 3-5 Years. To become ITI you have to clear Departmental Exam. Income Tax Officer (ITO) - GP 4800 6-7 Years. Assistant Commissioner Income Tax (ACIT) - GP 5400 8-10 Years.
- Promotion wise very good post.Promotions are time bound.
- In Delhi Zone, TA from batch 2013 became Senior Tax Assistant and then ITI in 2017, 2 promotions in just 4 years.
- You may or may not be given a promotion as Office Superintendent (GP-4200). It is given when you are to be promoted from Senior Tax Assistant but there are no vacancies of Income Tax Inspector in your Zone. In it you are just given an additional increment.
- Generally it takes 6-10 Years for a Tax Assistant to become Income Tax Inspector, barring few exceptions. Depends on Zone.
- Promotions are much faster then Tax Assistant in CBEC.
How to Prepare for SSC CGL 2018, Strategy by Topper – Rank 110 (SSC CGL 2015) & Rank 121 (SSC CGL 2016): Click Here
- Social Status: Income Tax Department is a powerful department, so you enjoy much respect.
- Promotions are good. Especially in Delhi/Mumbai Zone.
- Public Dealing: You get to meet Lawyers, Chartered Accountants etc. You will be able to make a lot of friends and a network of people to help you.
- Good Exposure: You get to learn a lot about Taxation, accountancy, commerce. While the scope of learning as Tax Assistant in CBEC is very limited.
- Stability: Transfers are not that frequent and you enjoy a stable life. All India posting liability begins after one becomes Assistant Commissioner, but chances of that are remote. Moreover, Income Tax Department has offices in almost every district, so you can get posting near your home.
- Work-Life Balance: Though workload depends on work assigned and zone allotted. Working hours are fixed 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM, except when you accompany a raiding team. The workload is not much and you get enough time for family and further exam preparation.
- Infrastructure: IT offices have well developed Infrastructure,. Everything is computerized and there are specialized softwares to make your work easy.
- Employee Union: CBDT has a union for Group C employees to protect their rights, but there is no union fo Group C Employees in TA CBEC.
Tax Assistant in CBDT Cut Off:
Cut offs are based on Tier 1 + Tier 2 Marks.
Eligibility for Tax Assistant:
- Age limit is 18-27 Years of age.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University or equivalent.
Job Profiles for Other SSC CGL Posts:
- Assistant Section Officer in CSS
- Assistant Section Officer in AFHQ
- Sub Inspector in CBI
- Income Tax Inspector
- Central Excise Inspector
- Assistant Audit Officer
- Preventive Officer
For SSC CGL Previous Year Question Papers : Click Here